Last night, while I was working night lab, I got an email from J1 with an idea for today’s blog. I completely welcomed it, because in my blog schedule, I saw that I was supposed to write some crossover fan fiction between Star Wars and House Hunters. As funny as that would be, I’ve never seen Star Wars all the way through, and I’ve also never watched House Hunters. So. Sorry, friend who suggested that one. I’m going to have to pass, claiming lack of knowledge on the subject.
Anyway, J1 sent me this list of the 45 Ultimate Tips for Men. I would highly recommend reading the whole list, because, as a woman, I can attest to some of them. I also laughed at some of them. I decided to pick my top eight (because I couldn’t narrow it down to five) and talk about why I think they’re important, both for men to follow, and for life in general. I don’t believe that all of these things should only apply to men.
- Every hat should serve a purpose. This is a very important rule. If your hat isn’t practical, you shouldn’t own it. I’m looking at you, Red Hat Society.[i]
- Exercise makes you happy. Run, lift, and play sports. You’ll feel better. Trust me.
- A small amount of your paycheck should go into your savings account every month. I have my account set to transfer $20 from my checking to my savings every single Monday. It’s not a lot, but it’s better than nothing.
- Find your passion and figure out how to get paid for it. I’ve been preaching this all year.
- Do what needs to be done without complaining. It won’t help speed things up. This is something that I really need to improve at. Sorry, H. I feel like I complain a lot about the things that I don’t like to do, but I am consciously aware of it, and I’m going to be better about it. That’s the first step, right?
- Never stop learning. Once you stop learning, you’re basically dead.
- Don’t change yourself just to make someone happy, unless that someone is you. This is so important. I spent a lot of my life trying to conform to what people wanted me to be, when I really should have been proudly displaying who I truly am. The right people will find you, and you’ll keep them in your life forever.
- If you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room. This one made me laugh, and was the one that made J1 want me to write about this list. Think about it, though. Remember how I said that if you stop learning, you’re basically dead? This is a similar concept. If you have to dumb yourself down to have conversations with people, you need different people to hang out with. Unless you’re Sheldon Cooper. Then you just need to be quiet about how smart you are.
I highly recommend that you read the entire list. You’ll get a laugh out of it. Which ones were your favorites?
[i] I know, Mom, you want to join them, but I still think the goofy red hats are unnecessary.