In 2007, the website new7wonders.com launched an initiative to vote on seven new wonders of the world, since only one of the original ancient wonders still remains. Obviously, I’m always dreaming of world travel, so I’d like to see all of these sites.
- Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – completed in 1931, the people of Brazil say that it is the symbol of their way of life – they accept people with open arms. I’m excited to see how they incorporate the statue in the coverage of the 2016 Olympic Games.
- Great Wall of China, China – I remember learning about the Great Wall of China in elementary school. We were told it was the only man-made structure that could be seen from space, which is awesome. Plus, it was in Mulan, even though they Mongols got over the Wall in the movie.
- Machu Picchu, Peru – I know a couple of people who have seen this in real life, and I’m so jealous. An ancient stone civilization in the mountains of Peru. How gorgeous.
- Petra, Jordan – Built around the time of the birth of Christ, this fortress in the desert was featured in the second Transformers movie. That in itself is pretty cool, without factoring in how little I know about the civilizations of that area. I would love the chance to learn that kind of history first hand.
- Pyramid at Chichén Itzá, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico – This was the center of the Mayan civilization, and was arguably the greatest of the pyramids the Mayans built during their reign. I would love to climb those stairs – how awesome.
- Roman Colosseum, Rome, Italy – This used to be the place to watch sports. Like, THE place. Rome, in itself, is high on my list of places to visit, and the history there is just fantastic. This is just another reason to go!
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India – Built on the orders of the fifth Muslim Mogul in honor of his late wife, this huge structure is made of white marble and surrounded by formal gardens. Also, it inspired the sultan’s palace in Aladdin, which is pretty cool. And India! Oh man, I would love to see India.
What do you think of the new wonders? Do you think anything is missing? Do you want to visit them as much as I do?